Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Reduce our dependency on petrol and diesel

AS we all know, the Government will be reducing or revamping the fuel subsidies in Malaysia. I do have a few questions and suggestions in areas which they might want to look into.

> Alternative fuel: What are our options or do we have an option? I feel that perhaps Malaysia should look at Brazil and other countries that are less dependent on petrol and diesel.

There are plenty of alternatives around but I do not see our Government doing anything to promote them.

> Road tax for diesel vehicles: I drive a diesel car and I pay higher road tax than petrol users. If the Government is looking at reducing petrol subsidy, are they also looking at reducing our road tax on diesel cars?

> Biodiesel: Whatever happened to that? I have read and also seen on TV where diesel vehicles run on recycled cooking oil. Why aren’t we looking into such alternatives?

I do think it is high time that Malaysians pay what is the right price for fuel. However, I think the Government should also ensure better wages for all.

DL,

Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: